Remains of castle built circa 1175 with 13th-14th century alterations, and dismantled in the Civil War.
Alton Castle is now in its 14th year as a residential youth centre and UK registered charity working with children aged between 9 and 13 years. Over 8,000 children visit the Castle each year from all over the West Midlands, mainly with schools, but also from other children’s organisations such as youth groups and charities who work with children with disabilities. Some of the children have suffered disadvantages, including disability, and many come from inner city areas of social and economic deprivation.
The superb pile built opposite to it was begun by Charles, fifteenth Earl of Shrewsbury, and his nephew and successor, Earl John, built it from the designs of A. Welby Pugin, architect, giving it the name of Alton Towers. He died in 1856, and his successor, Earl Bertram, died soon after, unmarried, after whom the late Henry, third Baron Talbot, established his right to the earldom and the lands.
The ruins consist now merely of fragments of the outer walls of the ancient castle; they are of considerable thickness, enclosing a small court, and stand upon a natural perpendicular rock over the river, to which the ground descends rapidly; below is a small mill. The remains indicate a stately and strong fortress. In the “Description of England and Wales”, vol. viii., is a view of the ruin as it appeared in 1769. (Castles Of England, Sir James D. Mackenzie, 1896)