Eaton Bray once had a moated castle. The moat, today all that remains, is open to the public for fishing at ‘Park Farm’. In Victorian times Arthur Macnamara (the ‘Mad Squire’ of Billington) planned to build a mansion on the site of the castle, but ran out of money after completing the lodge at the entrance to Park Farm.
This castle belonged to Roger de Bray in 1312, whose descendant was summoned to Parliament in 1530 as Baron Bray, the title becoming extinct by his son’s death in 1557. There are no remains of the castle, or of the succeeding mansion of Lord Bray. (Castles Of England, Sir James D. Mackenzie, 1896)