A hundred years ago, Witley Court was one of England’s great country houses, hosting many extravagant parties. Today it is a spectacular ruin, the result of a disastrous fire in 1937. Restoration work to the West Wing has made several new rooms accessible to the public.
The vast and rambling remains of the palatial 19th-century mansion are surrounded by magnificent landscaped gardens, which still contain huge stone fountains. The largest, representing Perseus and Andromeda – now restored – was described as making the ‘noise of an express train’ when fired.
Following the fire in 1937 the Witley Estate, including its gardens, fell into long decline. English Heritage has restored the south garden. In addition,Wolfson Foundation funding has assisted with major restoration works in the East Parterre garden, also enabling us to plan development of the formal gardens based on the original Nesfield designs. The showpiece Woodland Walks in the North Park pass many different species of tree and shrub from all over the world.
Winner of Sandford Award 2007.