Winchester Cathedral is the Mother Church of the Diocese of Winchester, which is part of the Church of England. The Cathedral has its origins in the 7th century, when a Christian Church was first built on this site. Since then, it has played a fundamental part in the life of this ancient City and a significant role in the history of our nation.
All are welcome to come to the Cathedral as visitors or pilgrims.
Begun in 1079 in the Romanesque style, this Cathedral is at the heart of Alfred’s Wessex and a diocese which once stretched from London’s Thames to the Channel Islands. Its bishops were men of enormous wealth and power, none more so than William of Wykeham, twice Chancellor of England, Founder of Winchester College and New College Oxford. The chantry chapels and memorials of these great prelates are a feature of the Cathedral.
Winner of Sandford Award 2008.