Wilton House opened its doors to the general public on the 1st May 1951 and this 460 year old building with its history, architecture, art treasures and 21 acres of gardens and parkland has attracted visitors from all over the world.
Wilton House stands on the site of a ninth century nunnery founded by King Alfred. This, in turn, was replaced by a twelfth century Benedictine abbey which, with its surrounding lands, was surrendered at the time of the Dissolution of the monasteries, to King Henry V111, who gave them to William Herbert around 1542. Wilton House has remained in the family since that time and is the home of the Earl of Pembroke.
Winner of Sandford Award 2003, 2008.