The Royal Armouries is located in the White Tower, the central keep of the Tower of London, which is its historical home.
The Armouries is one of the ancient institutions of the Tower of London. Its origins may be traced back to the working armoury of the medieval kings of England.
The first recorded paying visitor to the Armouries was in 1545 when a visiting foreign dignitary viewed the personal armoury of Henry VIII in the White Tower.
The Restoration of Charles II in 1660 saw the establishment of two permanent public displays: the Line of Kings and the Spanish Armoury.
All these displays can still be seen in the White Tower, along with more modern weapons and armours.
Winner of Sandford Award 1978, 1979, 1986, 1991, 1996, 2001.