The Museum is located in a former Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue on Cheetham Hill Road. It is the oldest surviving synagogue building in Manchester, completed in 1874.
It is, indeed, a beautiful example of Victorian architecture, executed in Moorish style. Particularly noteworthy are the splendid stained glass windows and the distinctive cast-iron fitments.
Since the building became redundant through the movement of the Jewish population away from the area, it has been completely restored, returned to its former glory and listed Grade II*.
With a compelling history to tell, the building needed a new purpose and in 1984 it re-opened as a Museum.The Museum chronicles the lives of Jewish people in Manchester and their contribution to making the city what it is today.
Winner of Sandford Award 1998, 2004, 2009.
Leave a Reply