Cannon Hall was home to the Spencer-Stanhope family. In 1957 the Hall opened as a museum, and is home to a collection of art including ceramics, glass, furniture and Old Master paintings, including Mrs Tuder by John Constable and Wheelback Chairs by George Hepplewhite.
The Hall also houses ‘Charge’, the Regimental Museum of the 13th/18th Royal Hussars (Queen Mary’s Own) and the Light Dragoons, it illustrates the part played by the Regiment in many major battles such as the Charge of the Light Brigade and includes memorabilia dedicated to Lord Baden Powell.
Covering over 70 acres of parkland and gardens, Cannon Hall is an ideal place for a relaxing walk, family outing or picnic. The historic walled garden adjacent to the main Hall dates from the 1760s and can be enjoyed by visitors all year round. One of the greenhouses is home to the 200 year old Cannon Hall vine, which was grown from a seed brought back by John Spencer-Stanhope from the Continent in 1802. A cutting of the vine was exported to Australia, cultivated, and its descendants produce today’s fine Australian wines.
Winner of Sandford Award 1999, 2004, 2009.