A motte and bailey castle in Wormegay village. The motte is visible as a large, sub-circular earthen mound 5 metres high and measuring about 77 metres north-south by 62 metres east-west at the base, surrounded on the north, west and south sides by a ditch 12-15 metres wide which remains open to a depth of 2 metres. On the top of the mound is a slightly uneven platform on which would have stood a tower.
This place is seven and a half miles from Downham Market, in the flat fen country, once environed with water and marshes. It was of some importance in Saxon times, and in early Norman reigns the Bardolphs and Warrens had a castle there. The former family owned the manor in the reign of Henry II., and their seat was at a castle on the S. side of the village, the chief and safest entrance to which was by a causeway on the W. side. (Blomefield, vii. 502.) The castle stood on a mound on the right hand of the road entering the village from Oxburgh, and was the head of the barony. (Castles Of England, Sir James D. Mackenzie, 1896)